Old 09-14-2015, 12:25 PM
Observer

Akame is on a distinguished road
Default Trying to Put on Weight

Hi all

I really hope someone can give me some ideas about how to put on weight safely. First, some background which may be relevant.

I had a serious car accident 28 years ago and broke 5 vertebrae, most of my ribs and pelvis, and had a cut scalp which required stitches. Due to the hospital not referring me for surgery, my spine twisted and I now have scoliosis. I had remedial surgery a few years later - my spine straightened with metal rods - but it's still aesthetically rubbish. I'm sure you're thinking why is this relevant but this seems to be a major point. At that time I weighed approx 42 kilos which considering I was about 5' 1" was not too bad.

Since this trauma I cannot get back to that weight. I am now 4' 11" (due to my spinal problems) and weigh 35 kilos. Quite pathetic!

I'm now in my late forties and am thinking about the menopause and osteoporosis. I know it's not going to be easy but I seriously need to put on some muscle and fat. The trouble is I've not really got much appetite. I eat what I want but do not get starving apart from the odd time when suddenly for a week I have eaten like mad. Very strange, which makes me wonder whether the head injury caused more than a superficial cut.

My question is whether there are any natural supplements to stimulate appetite? I did come across Brewers Yeast but there seems to be confusion as to whether it's a stimulant or suppressant. I can't do weights much because of my back. I'm generally not in pain but my muscles in my shoulders get tight. Any ideas please?

I tried a hypnotherapist but that didn't help. I have, even as a baby apparently, been unable to overeat so I guess I need to make what I do eat count.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Old 10-06-2015, 02:04 AM
Enlightener

truestorytotell is on a distinguished road

When I was 18 I weighted about 63 kilos, at 5ft9.

I had an accident and dropped to 48 kilos within a week.

After some time I gained some weight back, and remained on a steady 57-60 kilos for 7 years.

Now I'm 26, and a few months ago, within 3 months I gained 10 kilos, and then it stopped again. Now I'm at 67-68...

I hate it because had I not had that accident, I would be at a comfortable 75 or so now, and wouldn't have to live those 7 years being underweight.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. I'm thinking that gaining weight, khm, you use money to gain weight. You use money to buy food and supplements which you then eat and consume, and gain weight.

Good luck
Old 10-27-2015, 10:58 AM
Observer

IntelligentImpulse is on a distinguished road

From an article I found particularly helpful :

"Focus on hefty foods. You don't have to exclusively eat high-fat foods to gain weight. Actually, you'll gain weight more steadily and safely if you adjust your diet slightly to include denser foods and extra condiments.

Consider these options:
Drinks — Try protein shakes, juices or whole milk. Avoid diet sodas.
Breads — Hearty and dense breads, such as whole wheat, oat bran, pumpernickel and rye, are more nutritious than white bread. Cut thick slices and spread generously with peanut butter, jam, honey, hummus, or cream cheese.
Vegetables — Look for starchy vegetables (potatoes, peas, corn, carrots, winter squash, beets). Avoid vegetables that are mostly water (broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, green beans, cucumbers).
Fruit — Choose dense fruit (bananas, pears, apples, pineapple, dried fruit) over watery fruit (oranges, peaches, plums, berries, watermelon).
Soups — Go for hearty cream soups instead of broth-based soups. If you have trouble with edema or high blood pressure, you may want to avoid store-bought soups that are high in sodium.
Added oils — When you're cooking, add a generous amount of oil to your food. The healthiest oils are unrefined (extra virgin) oils such as olive, coconut, canola, palm, and (of course) butter. Less healthy but still acceptable sources of oil are those high in omega-6 fatty acids (pro-inflammatory) such as safflower, sunflower, and peanut oils. Unhealthy oils that contain trans fats include shortening and soybean oil (aka vegetable oil).
Spreads — Spreading delicious calorie-rich toppings on toast, crackers, pitas, and any other carbohydrate source is an excellent way to increase caloric intake. Some good high-calorie spreads are guacamole, olive oil, cream cheese, hummus, butter, nut butters, sour cream, cheese slices, and mayonnaise. For even more calories, mix these with shredded meats like chicken or fish.
Supplements — Some nutritional supplements are designed specifically for weight gain. Investigate brands and products that are suggested for people suffering from illnesses that lead to weight loss, such as Crohn's disease or hyperthyroidism."
Old 10-27-2015, 08:13 PM
Explorer

Firekin4 will become famous soon enough

I'm kinda surprised by the lack of mention on an herbal medicine forum: marijuana. If you can get it legally where you live, go for it, but it ain't illegal if you don't get caught. I'm female, 20, 5'0", and an average of 95 lbs, and I'm damn sick of people telling me I look fine, why do I wanna gain weight, everyone wants to be skinny, etc. I. Am. Not. Healthy. Screw how I look. I don't have any major health problems from my weight (or lack thereof), but I lose weight very quickly, have too much trouble gaining it back, can't regulate my body temperature at all, and have little muscle and no fat in the event of trying times. So I eat as healthy, nutritious, and calorie dense as I can during the day, then after 8pm, I smoke and pig out on donuts and chips. I'd prefer more wholesome donuts and chips, but we're poor right now and I need calories where I can get them. I usually gain about a pound per day that way when I can stick to it.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:12 AM
Guide

Ajax has a spectacular aura aboutAjax has a spectacular aura aboutAjax has a spectacular aura about

Sensitivity to things like wheat gluten and dairy can cause a lack of appetite. Caffeine is another one. Try going a week without one of those and see if your appetite increases. Also try healthy snacks in between meals. Granolas have a lot of protein and a ton of calories.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:53 PM
Observer

Arthur Daviau is on a distinguished road

You could try home-made high calorie drinks. There are many recipes online found
by searching "home made weight gainer" for example. You could easily get 800
calories from one. Three a day and you have a minimum of 2400, not counting
your regular meals!

The unfortunate thing is that even if home-made, it still cost money to buy all
the ingredients, however healthy they may be! UGH!
Old 07-26-2016, 12:08 AM
Observer

thunderseed is on a distinguished road

I'm a huge believer in yoga for fixing spinal issues. There is even yoga for scoliosis although you said your back is straightened now.

Yoga doesn't strengthen much, but it does balance out the spine and give you better flexibility throughout the spine. It really helped my back injuries and fix my posture so now I can do all the physical activities I love.

Also, doing deep tissue massage and foam rolling is amazing. Most times when there's a back problem, the other muscles in the body are also affected, and sometimes even the cause of the bad posture or pain.

If your shoulders are tight, it's probably coming from the trapezius muscle, so try getting a rubber ball and pressing it against your trap muscle on a wall.

Strength training is important, so you should be lifting weights. Strengthening problem areas will also help them become stronger and lead to less pain. Together with yoga and rolling, you can get rid of tightness. You will be able to get mobile and flexible that way.

To increase your appetite, simply start forcing yourself to eat on a regular basis eat something small (every hour). The reason your appetite is gone is because your metabolism has been ruined, so it's very sluggish. To fix that you literally just need to start eating frequently, and start gaining some muscle at the gym. Then your hunger pangs and appetite will come back. The more muscle you have the more fat you will burn.

If you force yourself to eat every hour or so, in about a week you should start noticing your appetite coming back once your body adjusts to eating properly again.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:41 AM
Observer

shakirajane is on a distinguished road

Eating on a regular schedule can help you make sure you're getting enough calories every day. Aim to have generously-portioned breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as two snacks in between.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:10 PM
Observer

Horselover96 is on a distinguished road

Track your calories so you know for a fact you're getting in more calories than you burn. Get lots of calories from liquid - whole milk, soda, juice, protein shakes, etc. Fill up with solid food at ech meal, and then drink one or two cups of high calorie liquid. YOu'll find theres always room for a little liquid even when you're full frm solid food. This is agreat way to get more calories in. Melt butter, coconut oil, or olive oil in soups for extra calories. Spread it on bread or rice, etc. Snack on nuts, they're very high calorie. Vegetables are important but they fill you up with fairly low calorie food. Eat them at the end of the meal after you've already filled up on high calorie food like meat and cheese. Good luck!
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.