Old 08-05-2016, 08:13 AM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold
Lightbulb Four Green Cooler

Recipe that targets health. http://www.healthyfellow.com/2054/fo...ler/#more-2054

Quote:
I absolutely adore savory greens. I regularly snack on kale “chips” or eat them as a meal-on-the-go. In restaurants, I typically order or substitute roasted broccoli or sauteed kale and spinach for starchier sides such as potatoes or rice.

At home, guacamole or sliced avocado frequently makes it on our breakfast, lunch and dinner plates. However, in recent years, I’ve also discovered ways of adding greens to sweet recipes. Here’s one of my favorites.

I’ve carefully selected four greens for today’s recipe. The base is intended as a hearty snack or treat. But, if you’d prefer to make it more of a meal replacement, I suggest simply adding your favorite protein source. It’ll still taste great and it will make the end product more filling and nutritionally balanced.
Healthy Fellow: Four Green Cooler

2 organic limes
1 medium avocado
16 oz cold, purified water
10-15 organic mint leaves *
2 cups organic baby spinach
1 Tbs organic, raw, unfiltered honey

Nutritional Content: Calories: 255. Protein: 4 grams. Fat: 15 grams. Carbohydrates: 17 grams. Fiber: 9 grams. Two servings per batch.
* I used 10 large mint leaves, but feel free to adjust to your taste.

Clean the limes with a natural fruit and vegetable spray and rinse them thoroughly. Even organic produce is often coated with wax. Place the peeled and pitted avocado, washed mint and spinach leaves in a high-powered blender.

Zest the de-waxed limes and add the zest in with the other greens. Next, add the juice of the limes, the chilled water, and drizzle in the honey. Personally, I think this recipe is best enjoyed very cold. So, I put the water in the freezer for a few hours before blending.

Blend until reaching a smooth consistency. Before serving, sample it to see if you’re happy with the level of sweetness and texture. Adjust the amount of honey and water accordingly. And, if you’re serving it to guests, you might want to garnish it with a mint leaf or two on top.

A quick disclaimer about honey. Generally, I don’t endorse the use of calorically-dense sweeteners. However, honey is an unusual additive/food. In fact, some research shows that it behaves in a far different manner than other sugar sources.

For instance, dietary honey may actually lower cardiovascular and diabetic risk factors when used in small amounts – less than 30 grams/day. Additionally, diets that include honey may confer protective effects in the gut by minimizing the presence of pathogenic bacteria, including H. pylori.

For those who wish to avoid the honey, liquid stevia is a viable alternative. The brand I most often use is the alcohol-free, liquid stevia extract by NuNaturals.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.