Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Women's Health

Old 08-08-2015, 08:02 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold
Arrow Grapefruit Seed Extract for Antibiotic Resistant UTIs

Grapefruit seeds/extract can help urinary tract infections, full article here.

Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are a common nuisance, disproportionately afflicting women, most of who will have a UTI at some point in their lives. UTIs when left untreated or when conventional treatment with antibiotics fail, can progress to more serious kidney infections. They are also of great concern for pregnant women, as the changes in prostaglandins and cytokines they induce can contribute to preterm delivery.

Conventional antibiotics are notorious for killing both the "good" and the "bad" bacteria within the body, as well as leading to the overgrowth of fungi like Candida albicans, which can lead to yeast infections. Moreover, even when conventional antibiotics suppress acute symptoms of infection, they can drive the survival of even more virulent antibiotic resistant bacteria. These surviving colonies form biofilm enabling them to lay dormant and grow back with even greater virulence when the infection recurs post-treatment.

This is why natural alternatives are becoming increasingly popular, especially those within the food category, like cranberry, whose safety is assured relative to what are often highly toxic conventional antibiotics such as the fluoride-based ciprofloxacin. You can view our Urinary Tract Infection database for over 20 natural substances that show promise as anti-urinary tract infection agents.

Grapefruit is perhaps the most interesting anti-urinary infection agent we have yet stumbled upon in our research. A remarkable case study published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary medicine in 2005 titled, "The effectiveness of grapefruit (Citrus paradisi) seeds in treating urinary tract infections," found that the seeds of the grapefruit were highly effective in killing antibiotic-resistant UTIs:
Old 10-28-2015, 11:52 AM
Observer

adelante is on a distinguished road

That's one I haven't heard of before. Thank you for sharing!
Old 11-01-2015, 10:16 AM
Lecturer

knightofalbion has a spectacular aura aboutknightofalbion has a spectacular aura aboutknightofalbion has a spectacular aura about

I swear by the natural antibiotic Grapefruit Seed Extract. Any time I feel 'something coming on' I immediately take GSE.
12 drops in a glass of water, drunk through a straw.

A true multi-tasker, without the side effects of pharmaceutical antibiotics. No resistance issue either.

I remember saying on here a few years back that it is the best natural health product I've ever used and by a country mile, and I still stand by that.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:15 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold

Knight, may I ask why you drink it through a straw.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:02 AM
Lecturer

Ted_Hutchinson is a jewel in the roughTed_Hutchinson is a jewel in the roughTed_Hutchinson is a jewel in the rough

I blogged on this topic a while ago.
Controlling Urinary Tract Infections without antibiotics
I still find that keeping 25(OH)d high (Above 50ng/ml 125nmol/l) is an effective preventative measure.

Grapefruit Seeds Treat Antibiotic-Resistant UTIs GreenMedInfo

I think eventually whatever bugs you have that are resistant to anbiotics will develop resistance to whatever natural treatments you use so it makes sense to diversify your approaches to resolving UTI. Cranberry/green tea/D'Mannose/probiotics all have a good evidence base so using a combination of methods is probably a good idea.

It's worth the time developing a taste for green tea ideally made from green tea leaves, and not the flavoured green tea bags that may contain sweeteners.
Green tea as an effective antimicrobial for urinary tract infections caused by Escherichia coli
Old 11-27-2015, 12:00 PM
Observing cool stuff

happy2bhere will become famous soon enoughhappy2bhere will become famous soon enough

Since an awful kidney stone incident a year ago August - I have been very attentive to the care and repair of all things kidney!

D-Mannose is in my regimen now. As well as high amounts of C. Healthy medicinal teas - no sugar!! Some unsweetened cranberry juice here and there.

And now I am going to begin the GSE!! Thank you so much for this info

-- After the awful stent was put in to drain all the stuff, I was put on a FREE antibiotic: CIPRO !!!! Which I did not take. Thankfully. whew
Old 11-27-2015, 01:23 PM
Lecturer

knightofalbion has a spectacular aura aboutknightofalbion has a spectacular aura aboutknightofalbion has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kind2creatures View Post
Knight, may I ask why you drink it through a straw.
Why through a straw? You do need to take it diluted, so there is the protecting the tooth enamel issue.
Though if you have a sore throat or the like, the advantage of using a straw is that you can direct it to where you want it to go.
Maybe I'm over-thinking it, but it works for me.

I noticed on the BBC News the other day that Polymyxins (the last line of pharmaceutical antibiotic defence) have been compromised. Given that it could have catastrophic consequences for humanity it has not attracted the media attention it should of.

Maybe now we'll see the medical community accept natural antibiotics like GSE, OLE (olive leaf extract) and colloidal silver into the fold.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:21 PM
Lecturer

Ted_Hutchinson is a jewel in the roughTed_Hutchinson is a jewel in the roughTed_Hutchinson is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofalbion View Post
Maybe now we'll see the medical community accept natural antibiotics like GSE, OLE (olive leaf extract) and colloidal silver into the fold.
Don't forget the Antibiotic-Like Actions of Vitamin D Keeping 25(OH)D above 125nmol/l 50ng/ml with effective amounts of vitamin D3 is much better then having repeat UTI. Scroll down the journal pdf for the article.

Magnesium also has antimicrobial properties in addition to the fact it enables vitamin d to function more efficiently.

there is much we can all do to increase melatonin availability.
Melatonin as an antibiotic

Humans evolved to make Vitamin D from dawn to dusk and melatonin from dusk to dawn. Staying indoors most of the day and using lights at night ensures most of us don't have optimal amounts of either.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:28 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

Thanks Knight for explaining about the straw. I do put it in water and drink it like that quickly, then rinse my mouth with plain water. It tastes so awful, and the taste stays for a loooong time. I still use the NutriBiotic liquid concentrate, as recommended here on this forum, I do believe it's the best brand and form for health issues.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:01 AM
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kind2creatures View Post
Thanks Knight for explaining about the straw. I do put it in water and drink it like that quickly, then rinse my mouth with plain water. It tastes so awful, and the taste stays for a loooong time. I still use the NutriBiotic liquid concentrate, as recommended here on this forum, I do believe it's the best brand and form for health issues.
The taste, yes! That's another reason for using a straw!

I use the GSE made by Higher Nature. I noticed in their catalogue they mention that GSE is their number one all-time, best-seller. Impressive under any circumstances, but when you consider it hasn't been articled in a national newspaper and Higher Nature aren't allowed to make 'claims' for their product and haven't, it's all down to repeat sales and word of mouth ...

Tags
extract, grapefruit, seed, urinary tract infection, uti
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.