Old 06-14-2015, 12:00 PM
Reader

greif will become famous soon enoughgreif will become famous soon enough
Default menopause

My wife is 49 and just went off the pill but she thinks she is starting menopause since she thinks she is having hot flashes.

what natural things can she do/take if this is menopause to reduce symptoms help her through this

thansk
Old 06-14-2015, 03:45 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold

I used only Red Clover Blossom supplements for my menopausal symptoms. It's inexpensive and readily available at health food and vitamin stores. I had mostly hot flashes and a few night sweats. It's not a silver bullet, but helps greatly with menopausal symptoms, and I advise it over the hormone replacement therapy which doctors like to push on their patients.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:04 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold

I only used Red Clover Blossom supplements for my menopausal symptoms, I was against using any hormones. This study shows that flaxseed beats HRT for menopausal symptoms. I sprinkle them over my nonfat greek yogurt every morning, but I'm long past menopause....http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/fla...l-study?page=1

After the three months, the researchers found the groups that consumed the five grams of flax per day had significantly fewer and less-intense menopausal syndrome symptoms.The group that didn't receive any HRT treatment nor flaxseeds (control group) had increased menopausal syndrome symptoms by an average of 7%.
Groups one and two had a decrease in menopausal syndrome symptoms, by an average of nearly 9% and 10%.
This actually means that the daily flaxseeds improved menopausal symptoms by up to 17% when compared to the control group.
Meanwhile, those women who received pharmaceutical HRT drugs also saw their menopausal symptoms decrease, by about 10%. This was slightly higher (10% compared to 9.8%) than group two, but the difference was very slight.

Quality of life scores reveal flax' advantage over HRT

One might wonder what is the advantage of flaxseed over pharmaceutical hormone replacement therapy - besides cost. While flaxseed therapy with menopause education basically matched HRT in the reduction of symptoms, there is more to hormonal therapy than simply menopausal syndrome symptoms.

The two flaxseed groups in this study experienced significantly improved Quality-of-Life scores. Group one's QOL scores increased from 38.93 to 49.00, while group two saw QOL scores increase from 38.63 to 41.69.

The HRT group, however, had reduced Quality-of-Life scores. Their scores went down from 37.29 to 34.65.

The control group also had a reduction of Quality-of-Life scores – from 34.94 to 33.82.

This means the Quality-of-Life scores of those who took hormone replacement therapy drugs dropped more than those who didn't do any therapy.

Another obvious advantage for flax relates to side effects. HRT typically comes with a host of side effects. One of these comes from the large Women's Health Initiative, a 15-year study of over 161,000 women. This study found combination HRT therapy (such as in this study), came with a significantly increased risk of cardiovascular diseases. Short-term HRT use also increased inflammation (C-reactive protein). Other studies have shown increased risks of breast cancer with HRT.

Other adverse effects of HRT typically include intestinal irritation, vaginal bleeding, nausea, headaches and others.
What this all means is when flax is compared to HRT with a complete spectrum - symptoms plus quality of life plus adverse side effects - we can conclude that flax significantly outperformed HRT in this clinical study.