Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Nutrition > Recipes

� #1
Old 06-16-2013, 09:07 AM
Lecturer
mommysunshine will become famous soon enoughmommysunshine will become famous soon enough
Default Black Cumin - Nigella seed recipes

Has this spice been used for a long time throughout history? Seems just recently I've heard about it. This seed is popular in the Middle East and has a ton of health benefits (they say).

Does anyone have a way to use Black Cumin seeds that they would like to share?

I purchased a pound of them and today will make a lentil dip, seasoned with 1 tsp. Black Cumin and 1 tsp. Anise Seed with an avocado blended in. Wish me luck.
� #2
Old 06-16-2013, 01:01 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
kind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of lightkind2creatures is a glorious beacon of light

I don't use cumin very often, so I don't have any recipes...but here's 28 fairly healthy recipes with cumin as an ingredient that you may want to browse through.
https://deliciousliving.com/search/re..._type%3ARecipe

Here's more on the benefits of black cumin...
https://www.naturalnews.com/038854_bl...revention.html
� #3
Old 06-16-2013, 01:10 PM
perpetual student
jfh is just really nicejfh is just really nicejfh is just really nicejfh is just really nicejfh is just really nice

There's tremendous benefit to black cumin seed, which has been used for a couple thousand years at least. We have a thread regarding this https://www.natmedtalk.com/showthread.php?t=21764

"We all love ourselves more than other people, but care more about their opinion than our own." - Emperor Marcus Aurelius
� #4
Old 06-17-2013, 04:16 AM
In seaerch of spicy food
saved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura about

I bought the oil once like 5 yrs ago. They have these at the mid east stores, I will purchase some soon and try it out again,.
� #5
Old 06-18-2013, 12:32 AM
Frater Aegagrus
Solstice Goat has a spectacular aura aboutSolstice Goat has a spectacular aura aboutSolstice Goat has a spectacular aura about

I crunch mine between my teeth. I like the flavor. I would grind them if I was using them in a recipe.
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now you begin to understand me." George Orwell
� #6
Old 06-18-2013, 08:03 AM
Lecturer
mommysunshine will become famous soon enoughmommysunshine will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice Goat View Post
I crunch mine between my teeth. I like the flavor. I would grind them if I was using them in a recipe.
I like the taste too. It paired really well with anise which tastes similar to licorice.

The lentil dip tasted good.
� #7
Old 07-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Lecturer

I took some Black Cumin and pulverized it with some fennel seed and sea salt. Put it on some steamed broccoli and it was so tasty.

Black cumin could be pulverized and mixed into your favorite spice blend to add a nutrient dense punch.
� #8
Old 07-16-2013, 08:56 AM
Observing cool stuff
happy2bhere will become famous soon enoughhappy2bhere will become famous soon enough

https://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/could-eating-simple-black-seed-prevent-alzheimers-disease?utm_source=GreenMedInfo+Weekly&utm_campaig n=9d62297a1b-Greenmedinfo&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_62bb7ef31 e-9d62297a1b-86810533
Quote:
A new study published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology reveals that the seeds of Nigella sativa, commonly known as "black seed," may provide an ideal nutritional supplement for preventing or slowing the progression of Alzheimer disease.[1]
Researchers divided forty elderly volunteers into a treatment group receiving 500 mg capsules of Nigella Sativia twice daily for nine weeks and a placebo group. Subjects were assessed for neuropsychological state and safety profile twice before treatment and after nine weeks. The trial resulted in significant improvements in memory, attention and cognition without any measurable changes in any biochemical markers of cardiac, liver, or kidney function during the nine-week study period.
The researchers also noted that beyond its neuroprotective properties Nigella Sativa also has kidney protective, lung protective, cardioprotective and liver protective properties.
It is remarkable that a thousand years ago the Persian scholar Ibn Sīnā described Nigella sativia in his Canon of Medicine for their enlivening and tonifying effects as follows: 'it stimulates the body's energy and helps recovery from fatigue and dispiritedness. It appears that science is only now catching up to the wisdom of the ancients, which in the case of Black Seed, was known as 'The Remedy for Everything But Death.'
I'm sold.
� #9
Old 07-16-2013, 09:16 AM
Lecturer

Good find. It's nice to know this seed has been used for thousands of years.

My recent use is pulverizing it with milk thistle seeds, fennel seeds, seaweed and celery seeds. This is a great sprinkle on your favorite food, vegetables and even mixed into a smoothie.

Tags
black cumin
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.